Power failure. Floods. Viruses. These are only some of the possible culprits that can seemingly destroy your hard drive, or else wipe out the files that are stored there. Thankfully, it is possible to try to get back these files by hiring a data recovery services company to do so. This article lists down some tips you may want to consider when hiring data recovery services.
Choosing data recovery services
Just because a company offers data recovery services doesn’t automatically mean that it will actually be able to successfully do so. In fact, there are some companies that are only out there to make a quick buck of people who don’t know any better. To ensure that the company you hire is the real deal and not a fake, be sure to consider the following tips.
- Check customer reviews. The best way for you to evaluate whether or not a company is good is to check what their past clients have to say about them. Check online for any testimonials made by clients about the company’s services. It’s also a good idea to ask the company for a list of references they can provide you with so you can talk with their former clients and ask them what their experience was when working with the data recovery services company.
- The company should not charge you for evaluation. Most legitimate companies offer free evaluation, since they will not do anything to try to recover your files just yet, only check to see if the files are recoverable in the first place. The only exception to this rule is if the hard drive has been opened before you brought it to the company, since opening it can compromise the system and cause physical damage to the hard drive. If a company charges a fee just for evaluating the status of your hard drive, that’s a sign that the company isn’t that trustworthy.
- The company should not have a flat-fee pricing scheme. Each hard drive problem is different, requiring its own set of solutions. As such, be wary of a company that charges flat-fee pricing.
- Choose a company that has a high success rate. Make sure to ask the company about their success rate in recovering data. Go for a company that has at least 90% so you have a higher chance of getting back your lost files.
- Choose a company that values privacy. Make sure that the company you go to cares about protecting your privacy by ensuring that the data in your hard drive is secure. This is important not only to protect any sensitive files in your hard drive, but also to keep you protected from possible identity theft. Read the confidentiality policy of the contract to ensure that they will be able to keep your files private.
Because of the large number of companies offering data recovery services today, it can be difficult to weed out the good from the bad. By considering these tips when choosing which company to hire, you will have a better chance in hiring a legitimate data recovery services company, and in turn, have a better chance in getting back the files you’ve lost.